What are 5 Ways that you can Tell if your Heater is Energy Efficient?

Posted in: Commercial HVAC

According to the National Federation of Independent Businesses (NFIB), 35% of all small businesses report that energy costs are one of their top three expenses. To maintain your budget, you’ll need an energy efficient heater, but how can you be sure that yours measures up? Ask yourself these questions in order to find out.


#1. What’s my AFUE Rating?
AFUE stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, and it’s a metric used by the U.S. Department of Energy to determine energy efficiency. For example, if your furnace has an AFUE rating of 90%, it means that 90% of the fuel you use is converted to heat while the remaining 10% is lost elsewhere.


The AFUE rating is normally listed on your unit’s faceplate. If it’s not there, look for the serial number and then contact your manufacturer. Some manufacturers will make this information available on their website as well.


All new systems must have an AFUE rating of 78% or higher, but here at South Jersey Heating and Cooling, we recommend one with a 90% or better rating. Please contact us at once if you have an old, outdated model and are interested in an upgrade.

#2. How Old is my Heating System?
As your system ages, it will naturally become less efficient. Consequently, if your unit is more than ten years old it may not be achieving its full AFUE rating. In addition, some older models may have an AFUE rating of only 70% or less.

By replacing your older unit with a brand new one, you could enjoy a great deal of energy savings. In many cases, those energy savings could be enough to offset the cost of your new system within just a few years.


#3. How Comfortable is my Interior?
An energy efficient furnace will provide even, consistent heat throughout your facility. Accordingly, one of the best ways to know if your unit is energy efficiency is to determine how comfortable your space is. Do your employees complain about being cold or regularly use space heaters to try and stay warm? If so (and you have ruled out any possible sources of heating loss), this could mean your unit is not as energy efficient as you would like.

#4. How Does it Run?
An energy efficient heater will normally run very smoothly. That means you should not experience loud noises or repeated cycling on and off. Likewise, if you’ve experienced multiple repairs lately, this is another sign that your furnace is nearing the end of its lifespan. It’s not uncommon to experience a loss in energy efficiency at the same time you have mechanical failures. A new unit could help you save on repairs while enjoying greater comfort and energy efficiency. 


#5. How Well has my Unit Been Maintained?
A new car that receives regular tune-ups will maintain its fuel economy longer. The same is true for commercial heating and cooling systems. If you have regular maintenance performed, you can be sure that your unit is staying as energy efficient as possible. Plus, you will also be extending the lifespan of your unit and avoiding future repairs.


It’s never too late to enroll in a comprehensive maintenance program. Here at South Jersey Heating and Cooling, we can tailor a maintenance plan especially for your business, and would love the opportunity to help you save those valuable energy dollars.

Helping your Business Operate Energy Efficiently
These days, there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding energy costs. However, the one thing you can be certain of is that your furnace is operating as energy efficiently as possible. Allow us to help put you on the path to energy efficiency. Contact South Jersey Heating and Cooling today to schedule your consultation.